I'm just a sentimental girl, that's all

Sunday 30 December 2012
Boo, it's super drippy today! Yet whilst it's apocolypse now out of the windows, it's adorably content in the hibernation station. The satsuma feline fluffball has been fondling fake acorns & cat napping infront of the fire all hours of the day, poached egg on wholemeal toast has made me chirpy and the christmas twinkles are giving me epileptic fits, which is possibly the whole point of tacky christmas o'clock, so why not. I was planning on getting some breeze in my cheeks today, perhaps take clementine the bicycle for a jaunt and take a few outfit post photographs and if I fancied Mary Poppins blowing down the road chic I would have.

So aside from being best friends with my duvet, stroking cat's and devouring after eights (such a hard life) I've been on a crusade to watch as much tacky, tasteless and marshmallowy television as possible (here's looking at you BBC Three). Mingled with caffeine induced starbucks runs & public hallomi consumption I decided that some thought-proking dvd investment was needed to prise me out of my "laughing at how mental Spencer Pratt got" black hole. Armed with my intent of films that would make people think im clever or something with butch Bruce Willis to make me crazy badass, I chelsea booted my lady parts out into the snow. I returned with ribbons for my hair, a tartan pinafore dress, sushi and cheap lady friendly films. Oh dear, Bruce Willis would shame on me.

In a similar way to how street style tends to inspire me and I perhaps find the street fashion and FROW outfits during fashion week just as enthralling as the shows, I think television and film can heavily influence outfit choices and can make trends more accessible to little ladies like myself. Fashion is all about playing a character sometimes, one day I might want to be a swedish food market prying granny on the lookout for the perfect artichoke, another I might want to be a pom-pom basking schoolgirl cyber punk hiding from teachers whilst having a fag behind the science block. With so much creativity and choice I find it difficult to stick to a trend niche & get a new penchants from unlikely sources, especially with my unfortunate times watching poor daytime schedules of late.

It will become apparant over time how much I am in blood-curdling, head-over-heels adoration for the work of smoothie and general dapper fellow Jean-Luc Godard, the liberator of flawless french 60's suave and esteemed move and shaker of the nouvalle vague movement. Through freeing cinema of previous touchy shackles and introducing the world to the captivating Jean Seberg, Brigitte Bardot, Chantal Goya and personal favourite, Anna Karina, he carved his name into the list of most influential postwar film makers. Steam training straight into cliche-ville, there genuinally is a je ne sais quoi to his beautifully crafted cinematic offerings, even down to the avant garde film posters. Swoon.









 
No matter upon which season I find myself dizzy in, I cannot seem to escape my desires for my uniformed Karina inspired self cut hair, 60's winged eyeliner flicks, dashing lingerie lounging, effortless Parisian Breton stripes, tartan army blazers and cool gang lung cancer acquiring. Nouvelle Vague, translating into "new wave" in English, is exactly what it was, an exhilarating, heart-pounding, dramatic gush of whimsical cigar smoking, pinned beehives, laced peter pan collars, tile print cravats, monochrome seduction, stone shaded turtle necks, plaid pinafores, geometric bold knit dresses, spherical black spectacles, sheer sugary peach bullet bras, blood red hoisery, girly t-bar flats and massive collars. But with this cult swanky fashion tsunami was left ripple marks on the sand of the fashion world and society as a whole, inspiring the future decades to aid new influential trends and movements. With my already sloppy love affair for Smelly-Cheese-Ville and my crippling weakness for dark innocence, when Karina charms in Godard's first colour film "Une Femme Est Une Femme" I couldn't help but attempt to crochet elements of every outfit and the angelic yet provocative theme into my own personal style. Larking around with the contrasts of risque cream sheet adorned love making scenes, nautical inspired racy corsets teamed with pom-pom sailor hat and messy reckless hair under majestic red hues mixes in with splashes of girly ringlets, cheeky schoolgirl plaits, gingham flashes and many a bow.
Multitudes of vampish corals, sexual curiousity, deep narrative and turquoise eyelids erupts together like a fruity fashion crumble to evoke emotion and fancy free dreaming. That's why I got some serious flutters when Peter Jensen's AW 2011 collection was heavily inspired with droplets of Anna Karina, proving that trickles of nouvelle vague have a cemented place in recent trends and collections, luckily enough for a 60's outfit dreamer like myself.
This and my candy-cane addiction to bold coloured preppy at favourite french house Carven, Karina bows at Luella and bold hoisery & collared dresses at Marni shows the scale of influence the delightful era had on the bow ribbon adorning folk like myself. Gaggles of egg-yolk pinafore dresses, camel shaded a-line skirts and innocent tailored collars dazzle the runways and have and forever will capture the understated elegance of the dapper age of rebellion.
 
Luella
Carven
Marni

I've always been moonstruck over the hotel scene in arguably one of Godard's most well known pictures "Breathless" or "A Bout De Souffle" starring dainty, cat eye sunglasses parading Jean Seberg and sophisticated male figurehead for the era Jean-Paul Belmondo. Pixie cropped hair, playful teasing, effortless cool bedroom lounging, cigarette flouncing and incredible sexual tension, the perfect scenario to pursue.
The adorable running theme in Godard's films in the touching vunerability of characters and the ability to be able to sympathise with them when relating back to your own life, he had a real understanding of the beauty of daily life. So to conclude I will leave you lovely beings with a few of my favourite darling quotes from Godards finest. Enjoy your deviant joy in small measures children!
 
"People in the metro always look so sad and lonely" - Bande A Part
"We are unique, dreadfully unique" - Alphaville
"Do as elephants do when they're unhappy, they just disappear" - Breathless
"Can I put my hand there?" - Masculin Feminin
"In love? What's that?" - Alphaville
"I love you, dummy" - Masculin Feminin
"Je t'adore" - Vivre Sa Vie
"You're my splendid bitch, you know that" - Weekend
"I'm shutting my eyes tight so everything goes black, but I can't do it, it's never entirely black" - Breathless
"Away, away says hate, closer, closer says love" - Alphaville
"Anyway, I'm fed up, I want to die" - Vivre Sa Vie
"Women who don't cry should be outlawed" - Une Femme Est Une Femme
"Nothing left but a woman and a man and an ocean of spilled blood" - Masculin Feminin
"Shall I get on my knees?" - Contempt
"She's in a world of her own" - Masculin Feminin
"I love you totally tenderly, tragically"- Contempt
"Life may be sad, but it's always beautiful" - Pierrot Le Fou
"Down with the republic of rat finks" - Masculin Feminin
"Who are you mister, Bob Dylan?" - Masculin Feminin
 
 
"Anyway, I don't think cinema influences youth, we should instead let youth influence cinema" - Jean-Luc Godard
 
And to the man who has inspired me to start smoking a pipe, praise be had.
See you crazy cats in the new year!
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment