There are so many dreams beyond our nights and so much sunshine beyond our gray walls

Thursday 14 March 2013
March 2013 British Vogue and a delectable little piece caught my eye upon personal musings from some of my favourite ladies comments on my favourite era. Follow Emma Elwick Bates at @emmaelwickbates on twitter at my currenty Marianne Faithful-esqe beauty Suki Waterhouse at @sukiwaterhouse

Emma Elwick Bates -
"The long drive to school was powered by my father's Sixties playlist, with Francoise Hardy's world-weary ballads ridiculously appealing to a sullen teen. When I got my own wheels - a 1961 snowberry white Austin Healy "frog eye" sprite. I'd chug proudly drive to college in a vintage shearling car coat. I still have the coat, and many of my wardrobe rules resonate with the era. I like well-made classics, an abbreviated hemline and ultra-neat handbags. The decade provides my petite frame with excellent solutions - swing coats, graphic mini dresses or on a great two-piece skirt suit. For me, the mid sixties embodies that feeling of bon chic, bon genre, with doe eyed, lofty cheeked heroines able to steal a scene in the simplest of shift dresses. So my delight must have been audible as the escalators full of Louis Vuitton twins descended in cheery Sixties cuts and bow-adorned bouffants. The sultry sophistication of Miu Miu's denim duster coats and vinyl paletots transported me to a smoky left bank jazz bar. When a collection encapsulates that decade, I tend to invest - like last summer's shimmery brocade A-lines at Christopher Kane or Prada's winter '11 windowpane checks. This spring, it will be the Marc Jacob's mod tee and the Chanel vinyl A-line skirt. If I find the right Sixties nod, I am in paradise - just like Terry and Julie on a Friday night at Waterloo Station."

Suki Waterhouse -
"As the procession "Marc mods" glided down the catwalk in their smudgy felt-tip eyeliner for his S/S 13 show, I finally felt like one of the pack. I first succumbed to the wilder side of Sixties fashion in my early teens, watching old recordings of Tina Turners stage shows. I fell in love with those neat shift dresses she wore, designed to survive all-night dancing and still look just as sharp at sunrise. Today, if I zip into a bright yellow Moschino minidress at lunchtime, I feel set for the evening, too. Jane Fonda and Betty Catroux (one of Yves Saint Laurent's original inspirations) both showed me how not to let the glamour of an outfit interfere with a little fun, showing inches of leg or painting spidery lashes. For accessories, I opt for classic pieces that have a dapper edge, such as Jil Sander's white, round-toe boots, perfect for running around town on the back of my boyfriend's scooter. For every day, black patent A-line skirts are a real weakness, while my most treasured piece if a fluffy white bolero my great-grandmother gave me. It makes the simplest of minidresses look glamourous in a moment. I need a new jacket this spring, and I'm saving up for a Marc Jacobs leather princess coast to wear with a pair of white cropped gloves that complete the look, just like Nancy Kwan."

Hallelujah Ladies!




0 comments:

Post a Comment